The first step to living a healthy lifestyle is finding the motivation to change your life. We all live very busy lives, and making healthy decisions are not always available – at least that’s what we tell ourselves. In reality we are just making excuses to not feel as guilty for eating that cookie or not going to the gym. This can also be in reserves, to where people think that they can eat that cookie because they did go to the gym. To make sure none of us fall into an unhealthy lifestyle here are five reasons to get motivated and stay motivated.
1. Start a fitness log: Studies have shown that people who write down their fitness activity and food consumption for the day will lose up to twice as much weight. This is because you are more aware of what you are putting into your body, as well as how much of it we are burning off.
2. Change your Perspective: Don’t think of working out as a chore, think of it as a way to make yourself stronger. This sounds like a huge challenge but it’s really not that big of a leap. Get out of the mind set of couch potato and almost think like an athlete. When you try your workout for the first time, most people will feel empowered, they will feel good about themselves. Take that power and run with it!
3. Set a Goal: Be realistic! Don’t set goals that are outside of your lifestyle. If you know that you want to look slimmer for a certain event, don’t wait to crash diet. Losing 20 lbs in two weeks is not realistic, try more for one pound every 3-7 days.
4. Schedule Regular Workout Times: When picking a work out time, make sure you don’t pick times that can be easily interrupted. Such as working out after a meeting or when your husband gets home. Neither of these things are constant, meetings run late, and your husband may get caught up at work. By picking a time such as when you wake-up or when the kids go to bed would be a much better time.
5. Have fun and incorporate variety: Mix up your workout! Don’t stick to just running on the same path, and if possible, try working out with a friend. Join a class (Shocker Fitness) to also get off the beaten path.
These are five easy ways to stay active and live a healthy lifestyle. Stop using excuses and get the life you want! It is easy, all it takes a little motivation and support from the people who love you, and our Shocker Fitness staff is here for you!